I have enjoyed being a licensed Naturopathic Doctor (ND) since 2005. Over 15 years, I helped build an award-winning wellness center in Massachusetts and in 2021 I had an opportunity to relocate to Northern California wine country and transition my practice online.
I love helping patients with various health challenges. However, my unique experience and passion flourishes working with women who feel their bodies are in chaos because of hormone imbalances, sleep issues, stress or anxiety.
Addressing the underlying causes of symptoms related to hormone and neurotransmitter imbalances enables my patients to experience an enhanced life – being more in control of their health, feeling more balanced and energetic in their 40s and 50s than they did in their 20s and 30s!
Let’s end your mind-body chaos together!
My Hormone Story
In my teens and 20s I had irregular periods that would be on time for months in a row and then disappear for months on end, only to return monthly for no apparent reason! I saw medical doctors, had blood tests and ultrasounds –nothing was found and I was told, “everything looked normal”.
Naturally, when I started naturopathic medical school, female hormones and menstrual cycles were of personal interest. I created a regimen for myself using herbs and nutrition to support my hormones but it wasn’t until I fully embraced a 100% plant based diet, got serious about stress management and made sleep a priority in my life that I was able to have regular, monthly periods in my 30s and 40s. Until…
On the eve of my 40th birthday, I was driving home from my office late at night and exhausted. I was excited because my boyfriend, Joe, was taking me on a surprise trip for my birthday but so exhausted that all I could think was, “when we get back from this trip I am going to plan a sabbatical, I need a break”.
Alas, this thought was too late!
My trip was followed by months of reoccurring infections, hair loss, insomnia and eventually my regular monthly cycles I had worked so hard for started to get wonky. This experience of “burn out” was a wake up call for me that forced me to re-evaluate my lifestyle and work-life balance as well as my nutrition and supplement regimen. Knowing the close relationships between stress, insomnia and my hormones, I dove deeper into the causes of my stress and how to manage my triggers daily. Ironically, this exploration led me to not only heal myself again but also led me to create the type of medical practice I have today – helping women who feel their bodies (and minds) are in chaos because of hormonal transitions and the constant stress of our modern lives!
I am passionate about getting to know my patients on a personal level, finding the true causes of their symptoms and creating a treatment plan unique to their needs. And while I believe this type of medicine is extremely valuable and know it to be effective, it is not covered by conventional medical insurance plans. You may use a credit card, Flex Spending (FSA) or your Healthcare Savings (HSA) Accounts for consultation fees, lab fees and treatments recommendations such as vitamins, herbal medicines and nutritional supplements. My current fee schedule can be viewed HERE.
My Education, Training, Awards & Publications
- B.S. in Biochemistry, Boston College, 1999
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (ND), Bastyr University, 2005
- Naturopathic Physician Licensing Exams (NPLEX), Level I 2003, Level II 2005
- Licensed to practice Naturopathic Medicine, Vermont 2005-2020
- Licensed to practice Naturopathic Medicine, California, 2020-present
- Current member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Secretary of the Massachusetts Society of Naturopathic Doctors, 2009-2013 & 2017-2020, member 2005-2020
- Best Integrative Wellness Clinic, Merrimack Valley Award as owner of Advanced Health & Wellness, 2019
- Best of Northshore Award as owner of Advanced Health & Wellness, 2017
- Did Perimenopause Sneak Up on You?, The Blogging Doctors
- Fix Your Hormones with Fiber, The Blogging Doctors
- Diety Detox, Northshore Magazine
- Inspiring Entrepreneurs, Boston Voyager Magazine
- Strengthening your Immune System, The Veganzine